[mythtv-users] Legality of selling MythTV and its Components?

Anthony Vito anthony.vito at gmail.com
Wed May 3 03:42:10 UTC 2006

> > It's not a tricky question at all. You can't sell mythboxen in the US
> > without violating the license. End of discussion. Negotiate a license
> > before you start to plan you business. It's going to be in the 7
> > figure range, good luck!
>
> You can't sell CONFIGURED mythtv boxes. So firstboot (or whatever) needs to
> prompt for zap2it account info and/or not use it. That doesn't stop the
> distribution/sale of mythtv boxes.

I call Bullshit. You can't skirt around it that easy. It's not like
there is a specific legal document here, or even a precedent. The only
written words from zap2it are "personal, non-commercial use" Some of
the people they are refering to in this letter,
http://docs.tms.tribune.com/tech/tmsdatadirect/zap2it/open_letter.html
 Did just about what you are prescribing. If the product you are
selling is worthless ( or worth less ) without their data ( which it
is ) then they will argue ( with a lawsuit ) that that is a commercial
use. My opinon is they would be right, but that doesn't matter,
because you can't afford a lawyer anyway.

> > I'm shocked they allow zap2it to distribute TV listings at all. They
> > are already crushing/cripling TiVo right out of business. Lets not
>
> Lets not get confused here - the mythtv issue is about guide data, the
> issues tivo has had are generally about actual shows and other content.
> (Unfortunately, free or not, myth lives or dies in the US based on how tivo
> does on that front..)

I'm aware of that. The content control is where they are really
after... MythTV being a non-company is much more difficult to control
on the content front. So the next best target to put the kibosh on the
whole thing is pull the plug on the guide data. If the machine doesn't
know what and when to record... the content issues work themselves out
naturally. The MPAA perfers to avoid confrontation.

> And with EPG, HD-OTA boxes can do without guide data entirely (ok, thats a
> lie, EPG sucks, at least where I am. But still.. its possible.)

EPG sucks, and would not create a functioning MythTV box

> Sorry, but I'm afraid your issue is an overreaction. HE cannot redistribute
> or sell the zap2it guide data. That doesn't prevent him selling a box
> without it and saying "you need to go work something out here to get the
> guide data".

Where does it say that ? Is that page 22 paragraph 4 of the zap2it
data fair-use policy. "A system may be configured and sold such that
the end user must complete the final zap2it setup on his/her own."
*shakes head* you'll get sued, they already wrote the "open letter".
That's like Israel bombing Iran in 91. They just want to make sure you
saw it, and you know they mean business.

--
Anthony Vito
anthony.vito at gmail.com