[mythtv-users] Storage Questions. LVM, RAID, NFS

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue May 2 18:07:00 UTC 2006

On 5/2/06, Robin Hill <myth at robinhill.me.uk> wrote:
> On Tue May 02, 2006 at 10:48:05AM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > Would a 4 disk RAID10 be better than RAID5 for a recordings drive
> > considering I may have times where I've got my 3x HD recorders and my
> > PVR150, (possibly swaping for a PVR500) plus having at most 2x HD
> > capable frontends running?
> >
> I'm not sure there'll be much difference.  In both cases you're
> effectively writing data across two drives (with block striping) so the
> only advantage RAID 10 has is there's no need for parity calculation.
> RAID 10 should provide a benefit for simultaneous reading and writing
> though, due to the mirrored drives.

I'd have a 4 disk RAID5 array as well though, so it would be writing
across 4 drives (plus the parity information), whereas with RAID10 it
would be writing across two drives. This is where I don't quite
understand how RAID10 is supposed to be faster than RAID5?

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!