[mythtv-users] Storage Questions. LVM, RAID, NFS

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Tue May 2 18:01:37 UTC 2006

On Tue May 02, 2006 at 10:48:05AM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:

> Would a 4 disk RAID10 be better than RAID5 for a recordings drive
> considering I may have times where I've got my 3x HD recorders and my
> PVR150, (possibly swaping for a PVR500) plus having at most 2x HD
> capable frontends running?

I'm not sure there'll be much difference.  In both cases you're
effectively writing data across two drives (with block striping) so the
only advantage RAID 10 has is there's no need for parity calculation.
RAID 10 should provide a benefit for simultaneous reading and writing
though, due to the mirrored drives.

Cheers,
        Robin
--