[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase and channel additions

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Thu Mar 30 15:34:59 UTC 2006

>I've got a mythtv box I setup last Sept, running SVN 7207.
>
>One of my tuners is a QAM256 tuner which I use to get HDTV from
>my local cable company.  Since I also get Discovery-HD and TNT-HD,
>I use the Zap2it "Cable Digital" lineup for my area.   I initially
>selected only the 10 or so channels I get, out of the hundreds
>available.
>
>However, every few weeks, the cable company adds or changes channels,
>and Zap2it automatically selects the new channels.  This causes
>mythfilldatabase to clutter my guide with useless channels I
>cannot get (and which I would not want to get anyway).
>
>Is there any way to get mythfilldatabase to ignore these channels
>and not fetch guide data for them?  Or do I have to keep deleting
>them and unchecking them from my Zap2it lineup every week or so?

Keep deleting them and unchecking them from your Zap2it lineup every
week or so.

This used to be a chore, because Dish Network has thousands of channels
I would have to browse. But now, I find this easy to do by first listing the
contents of the 'channels' table in MySQL, unsorted. The newest additions
will show up at the bottom. Note which channels were added, delete them
from zap2it, then delete them from your database.

If you don't like it, you could complain to zap2it, but I wouldn't recommend
it, since they are providing an awesome service for free.