[mythtv-users] Playback stoppyand go-y. Ie super-duper-uber-jittery.

Greg Stark gsstark at mit.edu
Tue Mar 28 15:55:13 UTC 2006

Gavin Band <gavinband at tiscali.co.uk> writes:

> Dear all,
> I am having exactly the same problem as described in the original
> posting here:
> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2006-March/130273.html
>
> My setup is:
> Dell Inspiron 8600
> Gentoo Linux
> Radeon 9600 Mobility w/ free X.org radeon driver
> Kernel 2.6.14-nitro2

So it seems the kernel is off the hook. The common factor here is the free
Xorg Radeon driver.

My new hunch is that myth is trying to synchronize the frame updates with the
vertical refresh. And using some info that the radeon driver is reporting
incorrectly (or misinterpreting correct info).

So my question is, what does mythfrontend use to handle vsync if it's _not_
using opengl vsync? Reading the code it seems to base it on some calculated
refresh rate, but where does it get that refresh rate?

Is there any way to turn off vsync synchronization entirely? Just display the
frames when it's they're time to be displayed regardless of the risk of a torn
frame?

--
greg