[mythtv-users] Am I able to stop auto-recording?

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Sun Mar 26 14:09:36 UTC 2006

> > I think it shouldn't be that hard work to include such a switch.
> > When you can switch auto-recording off, many more users will be
> > using myth!!!
> > I promise!
> >
> > Martin
>
> In all honesty, I'm sick of reading about this. Yes, sometimes I
> watch broadcast TV just to see what's on. And when I start watching
> something and it ends up being good, I like hitting record and
> capturing the program from when I started watching it. I would never
> choose to give that up. If I flip the channel within a couple of
> minutes, the recording is expired in a couple of minutes. Otherwise
> it's expired the next day or when space is needed. I
> *honestly* don't
> see what the issue is. Frankly, nor do I care. It works. I'm happy.
> Let's move on to stuff that needs attention.

I agree lets move on. One final comment on the subject. I think what this
person finds objectional is the current default action when done watching
live tv. The default being automatically save any live tv as a file when
done. I agree, the ability to hit record anytime while watching tv and save
the entire thing is great and needed. I dont agree that every live tv show
watched should be saved. That should be an option that must be selected to
enable. Having every live tv show recorded effectively leaves a forensic
trail for anyone else who has access to the tv. For example you watch that
porn show at 2am and then the next day your daughter finds the show all
nicely recorded and ready to bypass any filters you have in place. It also
uses up lots of hard drive and forces autoexpires that dont really need to
happen. Yes, I know you can turn off the live tv shows showing up in the
listings but why save them at all if you cannot see them.

I am thinking about coding a patch to change this default for those who want
to not have lots of evidence left over. If the show in listing option is
off, dont save the files. Can anyone point me to the file that handles live
tv file activity? Save me some searching.

William