[mythtv-users] FC5 and MythTV with PVR-350

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sat Mar 25 23:17:36 UTC 2006

I'm trying to get all of the software for Myth TV in order to be able to
use my PVR-350 as a recording device.  I'm not too picky about the
playback, I'm willing to live with either an X11 screen or TV-Out (both
would be great!).  Here's the particulars:

	NF7-S2 motherboard w/ AC'97 integrated audio
		running an Athlon XP 2600+ CPU
		w/ 1.5 Gb dual channel DDR 2700 ram
	PVR-350 capture card
	Mad Dog Champion MX 400 nVidia AGP graphics card

I first started to collect everything last December when I was running
FC3.  I was using Jarod's FC3 HOWTO to collect things.  I had gotten to
the point of installing all of the software from AtRPMs via YUM.  I was
able to display a test pattern on my TV by loading the appropriate
kernel module as it says in the HOWTO.  My card was being detected at
boot up, and everything seemed fine, until I tried to actually capture
some video.  Nothing but static.  [I have my Cable plugged directly into
the PVR-350 TV-IN connector.]

OK, After pulling my hair out with this for a while, I had a power
failure.  [ A rather long story in and of itself, but, long story short,
 when my UPS detected 5 minutes of battery life remaining, it initiated
a system shutdown, which took longer than 5 minutes to complete....  The
result was a system which hung after completing rc.sysinit on the next
reboot!  I could not get it into run level 1 (or 2, or 3, or 5!)  My
attempt to upgrade to FC4 using the CDs was a disaster (because so much
of my FC3 system was more up-to-date than the FC4 install).  Even a yum
upgrade (via the FC4 resuce CD) to FC4 left me with the same problem:
system hung after completing rc.sysinit.  So I downloaded and "upgraded"
to FC5t2 (I was able to configure my network, download and burn the DVD
while running from the FC4 rescue CD).  That worked, but left me
disconnected from the 3rd party yum repositories.  B^( ]  Now, I've
upgraded to FC5 released (yeah!), and I'm trying to restore my MythTV
setup from AtRPMs (and updates, and extras, and ....)

I'm confused.  There is not yet a HOWTO for FC5 (so I'm trying to use
the HOWTO for FC4), and a lot of the packaging seems to have changed.
In particular, ivtv at AtRPMs has changed.  I successfully did the yum
upgrade mythtv-suite, but I can't find the ivtv or ivtv-kmdl-`uname -r`
RPMs for the ivtv stuff.  I have only the following installed:

ivtv-firmware-enc-2.04.024-8.at.noarch
ivtv-firmware-1.8a-8.at.noarch
ivtv-firmware-dec-2.02.023-8.at.noarch

Why can't I find ivtv or ivtv-kmdl-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 ???  Has ivtv
changed that much?

I'd like to re-demonstrate that I can display the test pattern, so I can
get on with figuring out why I can't record a cable channel to an MPEG-2
stream....

Does anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net