[mythtv-users] AC3, Analog Cable and 5.1

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 22:23:14 UTC 2006

On 3/22/06, White Joe <joe.white at consultant.volvo.com> wrote:

> I have inherited a spiffy, if dated, receiver (Harman Kardan DPR 1001),
> with a set of 5.1 speakers.  Un surprisingly, I am trying to make sound
> (TV and DVDs) come out in 5.1 format.  The posts I have read that touch
> on the subject have confused me.
>
> Is it possible to do this with analog cable?

It's possible to do this for DVD's (exactly how depends on what program
you're using to play the DVD's).  However, it's NOT possible to do this for
anything you record off of analog cable.  The big reason being that analog
cable doesn't broadcast anything in 5.1 format.  Basically, MythTV can
output audio in whatever format it's recorded in (and possibly lower
formats, i.e. record in 5.1, output in stereo), but it cannot convert
something recorded in stereo to 5.1.

Most DVD's have 5.1 audio on them so you should be able to get those
working.  Post back and let us know what software you're using to play DVD's
and I can give more detailed info on setting that up.  I can tell you right
now that you're probably going to want an SPDIF connection from your Myth
box to your receiver to get good 5.1 audio.

HTH,
Brad Benson