[mythtv-users] HDTV reception via Cable

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Mar 22 15:14:12 UTC 2006

Christian Burger wrote:
> Can you manually tune your card with azap or mplayer?  I too am on Charter
> but using an Aver TVHD A180.  Myth just won't tune the card no matter what
> I've tried, but mplayer will tune it via channels.conf.  When you generate
> your channels.conf you are just doing atscscan atsc/us-Cable-Standard >
> channels.conf right?

We will need more information to be able to diagnose the problem.

It sounds like you have followed a guide but obviously something has
gone wrong... This is the wiki page:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Adding_QAM_Channels_For_HDTV_Tuner_Cards

Does "atscscan US-Cable-Standard-whatever-the-name-is-Frequencies" work?

It should give you a list of probably upwards of a couple of hundred
'channels' on 8 to 10 different frequencies. If you don't get
anything/much from one frequency set, try the other Frequency files and
modulation methods Your cable co may use a different transmission
standard on the cable, possibly not QAM-256.

Don't be surprised at the number of 'hits' you get. These 'hits' include
all of the encrypted (Pay-per-view etc) channels and all of the music
channels. In the Toronto area, I get 27 unencrypted digital channels on
Rogers, out of a scan of 404! (The music channels are probably actually
usable, with some poking and prodding of myth).

If you cannot get this far, TARFUN....  And I would suspect that the
hardware is bad...

Geoff