[mythtv-users] Miro DC10

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Mon Mar 20 20:03:00 UTC 2006

On March 19, 2006 11:37 am, Martijn Morriën wrote:
> Sort of short description:
> Motion JPEG is a video codec where each video field is separately
> compressed into a JPEG image.
>
> As long as this is done by the hardware there is no performance issue, the
> issues you may have are e.g.:
> - the size is larger than MPEG
> - direct burning to dvd is not possible (needs to be re-encoded to MPEG)
>
> MPEG-2 (1994) is the designation for a group of coding standards for
> digital audio and video, agreed upon by MPEG (Moving Pictures Experts
> Group). An MPEG-2 video bitstream is made up of a series of data frames
> encoding pictures
>
> For more info read e.g.:
>
>  http://www.answers.com/topic/mjpeg
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpeg
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-2
>
> For MythTv I have no idea how good such an MJPEG card is supported,
> probably it will be used to encode to the nuv format if the device is
> supported by video4linux.
>
> Martijn
>
> On 3/19/06, Dave Chapman <linux-lists at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > On Fri March 17 2006 08:45, Martijn Morriën wrote:
> > > You are aware of the DC10 specs?
> > > It doesn't contain a tuner, so you need an external one
> >
> > That's OK want to use it with a cable STB
> >
> > > and it captures in
> > > Motion JPEG, not MPEG
> >
> > Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference and is it a good thing.
> >
> > > Maybe this is of any use:
> > > http://usuario.cicese.mx/~mirsev/Linux/DC10plus/
> > >
> > > http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/
> > >
> > > To load it at boottime you could add the modprobe line to rc.local
> > >

> > > Martijn

> > Zoran

I briefly used a Matrox G400 + Rainbow Runner G combo for mythtv.  It also
recorded using the MJPEG format.  I had many, many problems.  The biggest
problem was that the file size was HUGE.  I ended up messing around with low
resolutions and UGLY pictures.  I also did automatic transcoding.    Decoding
the files took some serious horsepower as well, so livetv was difficult.

There was some weird voodoo involved in getting the drivers loaded as well. I
don't even remember the cause, but after any reboot, a had to fight the
machine for at least half an hour.  Then all would be well until the next
power outage.

I ended up giving up and getting 3 hauppauge freestyles from ebay.  I haven't
looked back.

Mark