[mythtv-users] PAL TV out

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 06:52:43 UTC 2006

On 19/03/06, Shane Hollaway <shane.hollaway at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having trouble setting up my TV Out on my nVidia 6600GT to go to
> my 4:3 PAL tv.  I'm guessing that the setup I've got in my xorg.conf
> file is wrong, because each time I try to set it up for TV it fails to
> load X with the error "(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable
> configuration."
>
> Looking at the log file, it looks like it's deciding that none of the
> modes are valid for a  TV type of PAL.
>
> Any help or example xorg.conf files would be great.  Here's my current
> setup in the xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier   "Monitor0"
>         VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>         ModelName    "LG 68cm Analog TV"
>         HorizSync    30.0 - 50.0
>         VertRefresh  60.0 - 60.0
>         Option      "dpms"
>         ModeLine "640x480PAL"   29.50       640  675  678  944  480
> 530  535  625
>         ModeLine "800x600PAL"   36.00       800  818  820  960  600
> 653  655  750
> EndSection

I'd recommend changing your VertRefresh to 50.0 - 50.0 (PAL is 50Hz,
NTSC 60Hz) and also making sure the names of the modelines match the
names of the Modes in the Screen section. I'd also only try using
800x600 as the max res on a CRT when using a composite/S-Video
connection.

If you add a 'DisplaySize xxx yyy' parameter in your Monitor section,
(where xxx and yyy are the horizonal and vertical size of your screen
in mm) then smart aspect-ratio enabled software (like MythTV) know the
type of screen you are using and can output video in the correct AR
automatically.

Nick