[mythtv-users] pvr350 hurting my TV?

Louie Ilievski loudawg at comcast.net
Sat Mar 18 20:15:25 UTC 2006

On Saturday 18 March 2006 10:08, Nick Bartos wrote:
> I just got a pvr350 and after a while of playing my tv starts emitting a
> high pitched sound.  I can turn it off for a while and it goes away but
> after playing again for a bit it comes back.
>
> I am using the same horizontal/verticle refresh rates that I was using
> with the nvidia tv-out without any problems.
>
> Has anyone else heard of this?

Hi Nick.  I did not get around to writing the little 350 HOWTO last night.  I
didn't leave work until very late and was exhausted (damn those hard to find
bugs!)  Anyway, it seems that you got the X driver for the 350 set up, right?
If so, then use these settings in your Xorg.conf file:

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier "Sony TV"
   HorizSync 30-50
   VertRefresh 60

   Mode "720x480"
     DotClock 34.564
     HTimings 720 752 840 928
     VTimings 480 484 488 504
     Flags "-HSync" "-VSync"
   EndMode
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier "ivtv"
   Driver "ivtvdev"
   Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb1"
   BusID "01:0x09:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen TV ivtv"
   Device "ivtv"
   Monitor "Sony TV"
   DefaultDepth 24
   DefaultFbBpp 32

   SubSection "Display"
     Depth 24
     FbBpp 32
     Modes "720x480"
     ViewPort 0 0
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Of course, ensure you have the right "fbdev" and "BusID" options in there for
your system.

Sounds like you've already gotten pretty far with it anyway, but these are the
proper settings (for NTSC anyway), so I just put them out there so you can
verify.

I will still write the HOWTO soon.

~Lou