[mythtv-users] mythTV, Kaffeine and Twinhan DVB-T

Nicklas Bergfeldt nicklas.bergfeldt at his.se
Wed Mar 15 08:57:10 UTC 2006

Rudy Zijlstra wrote:

>Nicklas Bergfeldt wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm using the following system:
>>Linux 2.6.15-gentoo-r1 #9 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 8 00:50:22 CET 2006 i686
>>AMD Athlon(TM) XP 1800+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
>>with 1 GB RAM and 2 Twinhan DVB-T cards.
>>
>>Software:
>>*  media-tv/mythtv
>>     Latest version available: 0.19_p9163-r1
>>     Latest version installed: 0.19_p9163-r1
>>
>>*  media-video/kaffeine
>>     Latest version available: 0.7.1
>>     Latest version installed: 0.7.1
>>
>>Live TV is working perfectly in Kaffeine (no errors in the picture), but
>>in mythTV "hickups" / "jerks" / "squeeky sounds" is very common (i.e. 1
>>approx every 30 sec)...
>>- One could say that the errors in mythTV could result from bad
>>reception, but that do not explain why the picture in Kaffeine (always)
>>is perfect and the picture in mythTV (always) displays "jerks" every 30
>>sec or so...
>>

>The main difference i see, is that Kaffeine is not buffering at all,
>whereas with Myth you always are buffering via HDD (thus you can pause
>etc.). I would check your disk performance / I/O schedular etc.

Could it be that the opengl drivers are not correctly setup?

I am using the "nvidia" driver for my X.
I do get the nvidia-logo while starting X.
I can run the "glxgears" program and get approx 1200 fps (is that good
or bad I do not know... it's a very simple graphical display).
I run "glxinfo | grep direct" and it says "direct rendering: Yes".
 - X is working "perfectly" with the "nvidia" driver instead of the "nv"
driver.

But:
In Kaffeine it is possible to manually specify which driver to use:
"opengl" or "xv"
 - If I use "xv" there is no problem, but while using "opengl" the image
update becomes VERY slow...

I'm not familiar with mythTV's handling of things, but I have emerge'd
mythTV with the "nvidia" and "opengl" flags set...
 - I'm just wondering if someone could shed some light on this?

Is there any really good test to verify that opengl is working as it should?

/Nicklas