[mythtv-users] mythTV, Kaffeine and Twinhan DVB-T

Nicklas Bergfeldt nicklas.bergfeldt at his.se
Wed Mar 15 07:51:59 UTC 2006

Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> Nicklas Bergfeldt wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using the following system:
>> Linux 2.6.15-gentoo-r1 #9 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 8 00:50:22 CET 2006 i686
>> AMD Athlon(TM) XP 1800+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
>> with 1 GB RAM and 2 Twinhan DVB-T cards.
>>
>> Software:
>> *  media-tv/mythtv
>>      Latest version available: 0.19_p9163-r1
>>      Latest version installed: 0.19_p9163-r1
>>
>> *  media-video/kaffeine
>>      Latest version available: 0.7.1
>>      Latest version installed: 0.7.1
>>
>> Live TV is working perfectly in Kaffeine (no errors in the picture), but
>> in mythTV "hickups" / "jerks" / "squeeky sounds" is very common (i.e. 1
>> approx every 30 sec)...
>> - One could say that the errors in mythTV could result from bad
>> reception, but that do not explain why the picture in Kaffeine (always)
>> is perfect and the picture in mythTV (always) displays "jerks" every 30
>> sec or so...
>>

> The main difference i see, is that Kaffeine is not buffering at all,
> whereas with Myth you always are buffering via HDD (thus you can pause
> etc.). I would check your disk performance / I/O schedular etc.

Kaffeine also has the ability to pause, but you're right in the low
buffering at least because switching channels in Kaffeine is MUCH faster
than in mythTV (probably because Kaffeine has smaller buffers?)...
 - But you can still pause (immediately) in Kaffeine (just press
"space")... just as you can in mythTV... no difference there :-/

/Nicklas