[mythtv-users] HTPC cases

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 22:29:30 UTC 2006

Nick wrote:

> Is the general consensus the AMD A/A64 chips run noticeably cooler
> than their P4 counterparts? Does the Cool'n'quiet support in the
> kernel for the AMD chips make a big difference? I'd likely recommend a
> Zalman silent cooler for the system, but it could mean the difference
> between the AlCu and Cu versions.

Let's see, yes yes yes.  For AMD athlon 64 that is, and that's compared
to Prescott only.  Northwood is not really so bad at all - on par with
regular athlons.  Regular athlons, the palominos and higher clocked
bartons (like 3200+) are not so cool running by default, but if you get
a motherboard that can use athcool properly (or actually, more
correctly, that properly supports setting the stopgrant bit) then you
can cool down an athlon to unreal levels.  I was using athcool on a
palomino and had great results, to the tune of 33C idle temps.  I
replaced that with a thoroughbred 2400+ and when idle the cpu goes down
to room temperature.  I am not exaggerating here.  I saw my temps
sitting at 26C in the BIOS.  While linux was running I have seen it
running as low as 25C (ok this is not going to happen in the
summertime).  When recording mpeg4 the processor is running full speed
and I can actually hear ever so slightly the power supply fan increase
just a little to compensate.
As far as athlon 64, nothing special like athcool is needed.  The ones
in the 3000's range run cool even at full load. (I have a 64 3200+ that
has yet to go above 43C loaded).  The processor fan on my 64 runs at
800RPM under full load.  For comparison, the fan on my athlonXP runs at
a "slow" 1700 RPM (2200 stock).  Looking at these numbers it should be
quite easy to remove the fan from your athlon64 heatsink altogether and
use a good rear far in the system, provided you have a low enough
clocking A64.  Some people on this list have also used the "sonic tower"
on regular athlon XP's with only a fan in the back and they got good
results.
Raphael