[mythtv-users] HTPC cases

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 22:13:35 UTC 2006

On 12/03/06, Rick <ve1gn at nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> > Are any users using a Pentium-M/Silverstone LC16 combo?

> I'm using the lc16m as a frontend and find the 2 fans at the back a
> little too noisy and plan on replacing them soon.  The power supply,
> 400W Q Technology, and WD harddrive are very quiet as is the AMD64
> xp3200+ with stock cooling and a fanless fx5200.

Is the general consensus the AMD A/A64 chips run noticeably cooler
than their P4 counterparts? Does the Cool'n'quiet support in the
kernel for the AMD chips make a big difference? I'd likely recommend a
Zalman silent cooler for the system, but it could mean the difference
between the AlCu and Cu versions.

> my NAD a/v receiver. About those blue leds, they are annoying.  I took
> the easy way out and covered them up with a tiny piece of electrical tape.

I had the same issues with my Pundit-R system - the piercing blue
power LED and the pulsing blue LED for HDD activity. Both were
disconnected within a few hours!

Nick