[mythtv-users] setting the next wake-up time

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 00:35:33 UTC 2006

> So what I suspect is that -at least in my setup- the next wake-up is scheduled
> only when the back end decides to shut down the machine - which obviously
> does not happen in case of a crash or a power failure. Is my assumption
> correct? If so, can this behavior changed? I thought it would be better to
> call the script that sets the CMOS wake-up time as soon as this date/time
> changes (ie. a new recording is scheduled and also right after startup).

I think your assumption is correct and this is a bit of a gotcha. What
I did to work around this is have another box send a wake-on-lan
command to my MythTV box every day at 6pm (from a cron job) if MythTV
is down. If the MythTV box wake-up time wasn't set it would get woken
up at 6pm by this and then go through its normal shutdown routine
which will set the next wake-up time. Hope that makes sense. The box I
run the cron job from is on 24x7.

The script looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

HOST=mythtv.edwards.home

/bin/ping -c 1 $HOST 2>&1 >> /dev/null

then
    echo "hostup.sh: waking up $HOST at `date`"
        /sbin/ether-wake 00:0D:61:3C:0B:64
else
    echo "hostup.sh: $HOST already awake at `date`"
fi

Regards,
Phill