[mythtv-users] IR Blaster, how does it work?

Al McIntosh junkmail at allanmcintosh.com
Sat Mar 11 03:42:39 UTC 2006

Chad wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I was looking at www.irblaster.info and like what I see both
>simplicity and price are right.  But, I'm even more confused now...
>
>I'm going to be hooking up a new MythTV system in a house where they
>have DirecTV.  I have skimmed over several emails about using an IR
>Blaster, but most if them say things like "hook up the IR Blaster and
>then..." without really saying much about the IR Blaster part.
>
>So I guess my question is how does an IR Blaster work?  I plug the IR
>Blaster into the back of the Satellite Receiver (either serial or
>mini-stereo depending on type) and then what?  Do I also need an IR
>Receiver on the mythbox?  Ah...  Maybe that's it.
>
>When I hit a key on the remote to change the channel, does it send the
>blip to both devices?  Well, that would work for live-tv, but what
>about scheduled programs, there is no "blip" sent from the remote, so
>how does the receiver know to change the channel?

An IR Blaster is an IR transmitter, your computer will use an IR blaster
to send IR signals to your satalite receiver. When your computer is
going to record a show it will send the change channel signal via the
blaster to your satalite receiver.

You can add an IR receiver to your computer to  to receive IR signals
from  a remote to navigate the  mythtv gui. Many PVR cards come with IR
receivers that can be used to navigate the mythtv menus.