[mythtv-users] IR Blaster, how does it work?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 03:16:43 UTC 2006

Hi!

I was looking at www.irblaster.info and like what I see both
simplicity and price are right.  But, I'm even more confused now...

I'm going to be hooking up a new MythTV system in a house where they
have DirecTV.  I have skimmed over several emails about using an IR
Blaster, but most if them say things like "hook up the IR Blaster and
then..." without really saying much about the IR Blaster part.

So I guess my question is how does an IR Blaster work?  I plug the IR
Blaster into the back of the Satellite Receiver (either serial or
mini-stereo depending on type) and then what?  Do I also need an IR
Receiver on the mythbox?  Ah...  Maybe that's it.

When I hit a key on the remote to change the channel, does it send the
blip to both devices?  Well, that would work for live-tv, but what
about scheduled programs, there is no "blip" sent from the remote, so
how does the receiver know to change the channel?

Any clarification is very welcome!

Thanks!

Chad