[mythtv-users] Audio - PCM, Master

R rawgarlic at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 10:39:36 UTC 2006

On 03/04/2006 01:49 AM, R wrote:
> The TV tuner card audio out is hard-wired to the sound card Line-in.
>
> If I add a 2nd TV tuner card to this box:
> a.  How do I wire it to this sound card?
> b.  Do I need to get a second sound card?

I'd say--especially for a second or third or ... tuner--go with a
hardware encoder, like the PVR-150 or PVR-500.  They encode the video
/and/ audio into an MPEG stream, so you don't need sound cards for them
(the same is true for a PVR-250 and PVR-350, but the 150 is better and
cheaper than a 250 and the 350 is only useful if you need a TV out, and
you probably already have a better one from a video card).  When you
consider the cost of buying a software capture card (like a BTTV card)
and a sound card, you're probably spending about as much as you would
on a PVR-150.

Mike

Thanks Mike.  This helps.  I am looking into getting a PVR card.

In the meantime, what do you think about btaudio?
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Btaudio

Even with just 1 bttv card, can this reduce 1 cable?
So the TV card's audio out is not connected to the sound card's line-in?

Once I get a PVR card, will the btaudio module have any impact on the
performace of the overall system?