[mythtv-users] Audio - PCM, Master

Claude Gélinas agr. claude at phyto.qc.ca
Sun Mar 5 03:27:13 UTC 2006

Le vendredi 03 mars 2006 à 22:32 -0500, Michael T. Dean a écrit :
> On 03/03/2006 08:01 PM, R wrote:
> > In MthTV we have:
> > MythTV->Main->Utilities->Setup->General->Audio->Mixer Controls-> PCM or Master
> >
> > In Fedora Core 4 we have:
> > KMenu->Sound & Video-KMix->Current Mixer->Input->PCM
> >
> > Pardon my ignorance.
> >
> > What is PCM?
> >

> In short, it's similar to what Windows calls "Wave" (or "Wav"?).
> Technically, it's Pulse-Code Modulation
>
> > What is the difference between PCM and Master?
> >

> Master typically controls the volume across multiple controls (including
> CD and PCM and ...).  However, note that on some sound cards, it does
> *not* affect surround volumes (i.e. Center, Surround, LFE).
>
> If you can't tell a difference in functionality on your system, it
> doesn't matter which you use.  However, it's often nice to make sure you
> set Myth to use the same controls used by other applications (like xine
> or MPlayer) otherwise, you'll end up adjusting Master in one then PCM in
> others, so where you leave one and enter another determines the maximum
> volume range you have available...  (I.e. don't let apps "fight" each
> other or you'll constantly be using external programs, like alsamixer,
> to "reset" your volumes.)

I've pvr350 with sound out plugged in the line in of my sound card. That
way I get the sound in my small speaker but I need to use the master
control and mute the pcm

Ifthe pcm is not muted I get a lot of pulsed noise over the tv sound in
my speaker.

Can I unplug the cable from the pvr card to the sound card and get the
sound via another way.

also what is the problem with the pcm and how can i remove the noise.
Xine is set to use pcm and it's a problem having to use alsamixer to
mute the pcm each time I quit xine.

what is the solution ?
--
-----