[mythtv-users] announce: script for locating QAM channels

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Mar 5 13:28:15 UTC 2006

On Mar 5, 2006, at 12:07 AM, Jeremy McDermond wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2006, at 10:08 PM, Mike wrote:
>>
>> Just curious, but what motherboard do you have? (more specifically,
>> what
>> south bridge chipset) I had a problem that sounds very similar to
>> yours
>> where my tuner would lock on and off of the channel when I did
>> anything
>> more than capture the stream. (like use mplayer to view it at the
>> same
>> time, or listen to music on the soundcard at the same time)
>>

> I also had some issues similar to this when I first got my HD-3000.
> I didn't try OTA/ATSC, so I don't know if it affected it similarly.
> I found an obscure post on the HD-3000 forums that suggested that the
> power supply could be the culprit.  Indeed in my case when I switched
> out the power supply for a better quality one, everything cleared
> right up.

I'm a firm believer in using high-quality power supplies. A lot of
problems can be traced to cheap ones (especially the ones in the $50
cases with PS included). The PS is usually the first place a builder
will skimp in order to save $$$.

As I mentioned previously, I've had this problem with two different
machines, the first had a Thermaltake 560-watt PSU, and the second
was a stock Dell machine, not great, but probably a serviceable PSU.

Good thought though. I wonder how much power capture cards in general
draw. When MythTV systems start to get 3 or 4 of them how much power
are we talking about ?

I wonder if a lot of the strange, intermittent and unrepeatable
problems we see reported here might be related to power problems.