[mythtv-users] Left over .png files

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 4 17:00:45 UTC 2006

On 03/04/2006 11:51 AM, Robert Johnston wrote:
> On 3/4/06, James Orr <james at orrwhat.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm guessing the most obvious solution is to move the thumbnail
>> generation so that it happens BEFORE commercial flagging and not AFTER.
>> This also seems to make more sense to me, as sometimes it can take
>> several hours to flag a program if there have been a lot of other
>> programs recorded at or around the same time.
>>

> There is a good reason why Thumbnail generation happens where it does.
> After the program has been commercial flagged a Thumbnail is generated
> from the portions of the program that do not have commercials (To
> ensure the thumbnail is of the program itself, and not a commercial
> therein).

Definitely correct.

> As Thumbnail generation is not that intensive a process, however,
> could we have it so that as soon as a recording is completed, a
> thumbnail is generated, then that thumbnail is UPDATED after
> commercial flagging.

Even better, what it currently does is /not/ create a thumbnail when the
recording completes.  Instead, it creates a thumbnail--on demand--if
    a) there is no thumbnail
    b) there is a thumbnail, but the recording's lastmodified date changes.

The lastmodified date changes when a user sets a bookmark, when the
commflagging process finishes, etc.

This approach is better because it works if the user is browsing the
Watch Recordings list when the show is being recorded (i.e. started
recording 5 minutes ago and you scroll across the show).  Also, it waits
until it's ready to create the "final" version of the
automatically-generated-after-recording-and-commflagging thumbnail to
create one if a thumbnail is not requested before that point.

Mike