[mythtv-users] gigabyte i-ram

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 4 06:45:20 UTC 2006

On 03/04/2006 12:52 AM, Michael Freeman wrote:
> http://www.techdepot.com/product.asp?productid=4369706&affid=10000485
> <http://www.techdepot.com/product.asp?productid=4369706&affid=10000485>
>
> is there a way to use this as a buffer in mythtv while still using a
> 500 GB drive for the finished recording products?
> it would seriously reduce wear and tear on hard drives if you had
> multiple analog and digital tuners on one box...or make a great
> netboot space for a frontend

Not with 0.19.  Eventually (probably before 0.20), we'll see "Storage
Groups", which would allow this (have a storage group dedicated to
LiveTV that writes to the directory at which the i-RAM is mounted and
set your default (and other) storage groups to write to HDD's).

Although, IMHO, even at a rock-bottom $30/512MB stick, $140 (for i-RAM)
plus $120 for 2GB of storage (or $240 for 4GB at $60/1GB stick) is
pretty darn expensive.  I'm guessing two 320GB HDD for $120 each (or
less) would serve you better--even considering wear and tear on the
HDD.  (
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010150014+1035313428&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=14
)

Mike