[mythtv-users] New Mac Mini, ultimate MythTV HD frontend?

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 20:04:06 UTC 2006

On 2/28/06, Todd Ignasiak <ignasiak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, they clearly claim 1080i/p support on that web page.  It'll be
> interesting to see how it really performs.
>
> Two other video questions I have:
>
> - What is "High Definition Content Decode - up to two stream support" from
> their datasheet??   I assume their not talking about MPEG decoders, like in
> the Unichrome..  Given the otherwise weak MPEG2 offload capabilities (MC
> support, but no iDCT).   Is this anything real, or just marketing-speak for
> something less exciting?
>
> - Is the 950 'Core Video' capable, to support all the MacOS GUI effects,
> and interesting video processing capabiltiies?    I suspect 'yes', given the
> specs about Dx9 support and Pixel Shaders.

This page: http://www.apple.com/macmini/intelcore.html  says "The Intel
GMA950 graphics supports Tiger Core Graphics".    So, it sounds like it
should offer some "Core Video" benefits.

Apple's Core Image page says:  "Core Video, joining Core Image in Mac OS X
Tiger, delivers a modern foundation for video services, providing a bridge
between QuickTime and the GPU for hardware-accelerated video processing.
This highly optimized pipeline for video presentation increases performance
and reduces CPU load, freeing up resources for other operations."

There has been talk about using the Core Video stuff for better
de-interlacing and scaling.  Interesting potential..