[mythtv-users] FC4 software raid (LVM)

Glen Johnson gjohnson at vhcc.edu
Wed Mar 1 13:22:39 UTC 2006

>> Now create a LogicalVolume in the VolumeGroup:
>> lvcreate -i 4 -l 152600
>
> Thanks for the very detailed reply.  Way more info than I expected but
> greatly appreciated.

I've been meaning to get that USB code off my chest for a while, so I
guess you struck a nerve :-)

> After reading the man pages on pvcreate, lvcreate and lvm, I'm still
> not
> sure what parm to use to change from s plain stripe set to a RAID5
set.
> That's what I really want as I've had one drive fail within the last 3
> months.

In that case, I would setup 4 LVs. One on each drive. (pvcreate,
vgcreate, lvcreate, mkfs, etc.)
Then, use md to create a RAID5 array from those LVs. That gives you
expandability and RAID.
As I said in my last post, I haven't successfully used md, so I don't
have answers off the top of my head. I'm sure there is a forum
somewhere that can help. You might try a search on that gossamer
threads (?) site. If I have time, I will look into it too.

John.
I finally got the raid5 setup working.
Don't know exactly what was going on with my setup but I had to end up
moving the 4 channel sata controller to a different slot which I think
put it on a different PCI bus.  When I did that everything worked fine.
Now on to swatting more bugs and getting my MP3 collection moved over.
Thanks again.
Glen.