[mythtv-users] Anyone using a USB wireless adapter on an Xbox?

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 05:35:19 UTC 2006

On Jun 26, 2006, at 14.53, Jason McMillon wrote:

> Good point.  I guess the real question is whether one can get
> 802.11G to work over USB 1.1.

You can, but it won't, if you know what I mean. An 802.11g adapter
will function on 1.1, and it will connect to an 802.11g network, but
given that USB 1.1's maximum theoretical (not sustainable) throughput
is 11 Mbits, it's not satisfactory. USB 2.0 would be required for 54
Mbits.

Theoretically, 11 Mbits would be perfectly fine for this kind of set
up, but I tested my WiFi network one day, using 802.11b and USB
technologies, and attained an average throughput of 5 Mbits, with
spikes of as high as 8 Mbits, and frequent stalls.

> Anybody successful?
>
> I found this How To ( http://xbox-linux.org/wiki/
> Xebian_ndiswrapper_HOWTO) on how to upgrade Ndiswrapper on Xebian,
> so I know someone has done it.  I just wonder if it is fast enough
> for MythTV...

No, but you could theoretically use a laptop with 802.11g on CardBus
or USB 2.0 with a patch cable (you could use a hub, but this would
reduce the amount of lag and such). I've used such set-ups before,
and they're not hard to configure. It might just be more worth your
time and effort to run enough ethernet cable to your XBox, as I have.