[mythtv-users] Anyone using a USB wireless adapter on an Xbox?

Jason McMillon jmcmillon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 19:53:33 UTC 2006

On 6/25/06, R. Cody Erben <erben22 at mtnaircomputer.net> wrote:

> >I have an extra USB 2.0 wireless adapter (Cheap AirLink AWLL4030) that
> >I have managed to get working with Knoppix live DVD using Ndiswrapper.
> >
> >Now my question:
> >
> >Does anyone use a USB wireless adapter on their Xbox for MythTV?  I am
> >worried that the Xbox's USB 1.1 (12 Mbps I think?) may not be fast
> >enough for streaming of live video.
>
> Not the exact same setup, but I'm running a frontend on a Dell Inspiron
> 8100, USB1.1, Belkin F5D7050 USB WLAN adpater, ZD1211 driver, and cannot
> use the frontend over wireless.  In my setup, only 802.11b is supported
> with the USB1.1 connection with the ZD1211 driver.
>
> The frontend spits out a bunch of pre-buffering messages, and from a
> little bit of poking around, it seems like this occurs with 802.11b
> connections, at least in the USB adapter scenario.  I'd love to try a
> PCMCIA 802.11g card that I used to use, but alas, my PCMCIA slots
> tangled with a toddler and lost, necessitating me to investigate the USB
> WLAN path.
>
> If I drag a lan cable across the hallway and hookup that way, the
> frontend is able to play just fine, so it looks like the 802.11b
> connection cannot keep up.  In googling around (look for the
> prebuffering/pre-buffering error messages from mythfrontend), I think I
> saw notes where people with 802.11g setups were having success, so if
> there is a way to run G over USB1.1, you might have some success.
>
> Cody

Good point.  I guess the real question is whether one can get 802.11G to
work over USB 1.1.

Anybody successful?

I found this How To (http://xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xebian_ndiswrapper_HOWTO) on
how to upgrade Ndiswrapper on Xebian, so I know someone has done it.  I just
wonder if it is fast enough for MythTV...

Thanks again!!

Jason