[mythtv-users] LVM problem upgrading to FC5

Argus Array argusarray at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 16:40:38 UTC 2006

Thanks for the replies -- despite the mixed news on whether I have hosed my
data or not.  I guess the lesson is to consult these mailing lists before
diving in and mucking things up.

I've been digging around a bit and I found that /etc/lvm/archive has some
information that might be useful for restoring my LVM data.

I've attached the latest VGforMythTV_00008.vg data (before the versions for
the new ones that I mistakenly created).

I read on this blog:
http://codeworks.gnomedia.com/archives/2005/general/lvm_recovery/

that this information could be used to recreate my physical volumes using a
command like this:
[mythtv localhost archive]# /usr/sbin/pvcreate -u
J3hQY6-8yfK-pMPS-dGhN-WFig-ENnC-LSR2nn /dev/hdb1
  Can't initialize physical volume "/dev/hdb1" of volume group "VGforMythTV"
without -ff

I am hesitant to use the "-ff" (force) command without knowing what the
impact will be.  Any advice?

Thanks,

-Argus

VGforMythTV_00008.vg
---------------------------------------

# Generated by LVM2: Mon Apr 11 22:59:52 2005

contents version
description /dev/VGforMythTV/video'"

creation_host 2.6.10-1.737_FC3 #1 Mon Jan 10 13:50:10 EST 20
05 i686
creation_time
VGforMythTV {
        id         seqno         status         extent_size         max_lv         max_pv
        physical_volumes {

                pv0 {
                        id                         device
                        status                         pe_start                         pe_count                 }

                pv1 {
                        id                         device
                        status                         pe_start                         pe_count                 }
        }
 logical_volumes {

                video {
                        id                         status                         segment_count
                        segment1 {
                                start_extent                                 extent_count
                                type                                 stripe_count
                                stripes                                         "pv0", 0
                                ]
                        }
                }
        }