[mythtv-users] Myth and 64 bit OK? Seeing too many issues

fkamp at comcast.net fkamp at comcast.net
Sat Jun 24 19:24:13 UTC 2006

Mark wrote:
> I have set up several Mythboxes before no problem. ( 32 bit and PVR 250's )
>
> This time, I have an athlon 64 ( FC5 X64 version ) and a PVR 500.
>
> I am getting no where with this setup so far ( any volunteers for assistance? )
> If I rmmod ivtv and modprobe ivtv then I can capture raw off /dev/video0 and /dev/video1
> But then it seems to hang after a bit and I have to rmmod it.
>
> Should I just be going with the 32 bit OS?

I cant help with the FC5_X64, but I cant help but ask why.

If the 32 bit system works, use it.  Unless, of course, you
expect some serious performance improvement or feature
enhancement using FC5_X64.

My mythtv system works very well.  The backend is on an
Athlon +1800 and the front end is on a P-III.  Frontend runs
Knoppmyth.  Backend runs FC4 with Myth-Suite binaries from
ATrpms.  Only one capture card but the backend could support
several more if needed.

After spending quite a bit of time getting all that to work
like I want, I would rather play with the working system
than get involved in developing a new system on FC5.

I dont see anything that FC5 does, that FC4 cant do as well.
  At least as far as mythtv is concerned.

Regards,
Frank Kamp