[mythtv-users] Questions: 2nd backend; PVR350 + HD3000; HD

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Sat Jun 24 02:01:41 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 14:48 -0400, James Pifer wrote:
> I've been running myth for couple years now and everything is great.
> Right now I'm running Myth 0.19 on FC5, with a PVR350 and PVR250. I also
> use a couple MediaMVP 1000's. I'm going to get some things from a friend
> of mine, including another PVR350 and an HD3000 card plus antenna. I'd
> like to setup a slave backend, that will also be a frontend in my Home
> Theater. I read through Jarod's HD section, but I still have some
> questions.
>
> I assume the PVR350 will be setup just like the ones in my primary
> backend. I'll use the HD3000 card for recording/watching OTA HD. As for
> playing the HD content I have an InFocus projector that the manual
> claims does:
> 1080i, 1035i and 720P
>
> It uses a component to SVideo adapter for the connection. The component
> to SVideo converter is using 7 pins and not just 4. I've read already
> that HD cannot be sent over a standard SVideo cable.
>
> 1) So, does the fact that it's 7 pins make the difference?
>
> 2) If so, how do I get output from the PC to component, so I can then
> use the above converter to SVideo? What kind of card and additional
> conversion would I need? Will it even work?
>
> 3) Assuming this somehow does work, will I be able to play standard
> MPEG2 recordings from the PVR350 using the same output? Obviously it
> won't be HD, but will the output to the projector still work?

Alright, here's what I think I've figured out so far. If I get a video
card with DVI output, preferably nvidia because of the good linux
support, I can convert DVI to component. From there I can convert
component to what my Infocus projector wants using the included
adapter.

I have a machine that I was hoping to use for this system:
Athlon 1400+
768 Meg RAM
plenty of disk

Two problems with this machine:
No PCI Express or AGP slot, so are there any NVidia cards I could use?
Is it enough to handle HD with an HD3000?

Other question still remains, if I get this setup working, will I be
able to view regular recordings, MPEG2, through this TV Out? I'm
assuming yes right now.

Thanks,
James