[mythtv-users] Using a Tivo Chassis for Myth

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jun 22 21:14:08 UTC 2006

On Jun 22, 2006, at 2:30 PM, Brian C. Huffman wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 16:22 -0400, Disconnect wrote:
>> Hey look, its a FAQ!
>> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.16
>>
>> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Gavin Haslett did have cause to say:
>>
>>> I suspect it'd also be slow as a dog :)

> You guys aren't getting what I mean.  I mean gutting it and using new
> hardware.  I'm only talking about using the actual Chassis.  I've read
> the FAQ...
>
> But, I guess the answer is that anything's possible.  I was just
> hoping
> that someone had done it and I could take a look at their procedure /
> pictures if possible.

When I added a second HDD to my series 2 I bought a "TwinBreeze"
bracket which allowed easy mounting of both drives. Weaknees
suggested a second fan, which goes on the bracket. Of course they are
selling them, and all it really does is move more air around inside
the case, it doesn't really push more air out.

But it does indicate that the vendors selling upgrades are concerned
about the additional heat of even an added drive.

They also have a device which staggers the spin-up of the hard
drives, as they claim the PSU can't take the load of two drives
powering up at the same time. Having looked at the stock PSU I tend
to agree. You would have to get a better power supply to even
consider running a standard PC type system in that case.

While the proposed project might be possible, I think it would
represent a triumph of engineering over common sense.