[mythtv-users] PVR 500 not changing channels

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Jun 21 22:48:05 UTC 2006

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 06/19/2006 08:53 AM, TimberWolf wrote:
>
>> Installed the PVR500, fiddled around with some tuner settings, and managed
>> to get a 'signal detected' out of 'ivtv-tune -f 208' on both tuners. But,
>> whatever I do, I cant get mythtv to change channels :( Starting
>> mythfrontend->Watch TV gets me static, unless I do the ivtv-tune thing in
>> another session. Changing channels gives a brief pause, and then resumes
>> watching the exact same channel. Setting the card inputs (ivtvctl -p,
>> iirc) does nothing, readding the card to mythsetup does nothing, different
>> tuner settings no joy either.
>>
>> So, I'm well and truly stuck, and must subject to your collective
>> knowledge ;) Some observations:
>>
>> - Whenever I add the tunercard to mythtvsetup I can only choose 'Tuner 1',
>> while several websites mention 'Tuner 0'.
>> - Setting the tuner= setting in modprobe.conf makes no apparent difference.
>> - Settings other than 'Tuner' in modprobe.conf result in errors.
>> - ivtv loads well, without 'tuner type not set'.
>> - Manual tuning works a charm.
>>

> Sounds like a problem with your video source/card input mappings.  You
> could try deleting your video sources (preferrably with the "Delete all
> video sources" button) and then re-creating them and re-associating them
> with inputs.

Another possibility is that you are using the wrong version of ivtv.
Check at the ivtv site for specific information about which version runs
with which kernel. You mention that you have updated things to a new
kernel...which indicates you should be running the .6 version of ivtv.

To check, run 'dmesg | more' in a console and look carefully at the
output between the ivtv markers. Ivtv is quite good at presenting useful
debugging information. You should have 2 large sections, one for each
tuner in the PVR500.

One possibility is that your modprobe.conf file is not correct. Do you
get /dev/video0 and /dev/video1?

Geoff