[mythtv-users] Mixing HDTV and ivtv capture cards?

Michael Sherman msherman at dsbox.com
Mon Jun 19 13:57:17 UTC 2006

> The frontend plays DVD's with no problem, its just live TV and
> recorded TV that looks like I'm watching a VHS tape that's been
> left in the trunk of my 1978 toyota corola in the phoenix heat for
> 10 years.

I have a AverMedia M179 card, which is pretty much exactly like the
PVR-250.  I had some quality issues when I first set up my system
with it, but now I have a picture quality that is no different from
the satellite source image.  All I had to do was play with the
brightness/contrast/color settings after also setting a decent
bitrate and resolution.

I have three resolution settings (high, med, low) that I use for more
important to less important shows.  I set them pretty much at what
TiVo uses by default (I found these on some TiVo list somewhere):

high:
544x480
bitrate 5800

medium: