[mythtv-users] New system build. Looking for opinions.

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Tue Jun 20 22:02:24 UTC 2006

On 20 Jun 2006 at 13:34, Troy Beneke wrote:

---snipped---

Two tuners, but only 120GB of hard disk? And you want to rip movies
and music, capture OTA programs, and edit DV files? You'll eat that
much space in just a few days.

You need a LOT more disk space. Start with 400 or 500 GB and plan on
doubling it in the near future.

Oh, and your video card is overkill, but maybe still a good choice. 1
GB of RAM is overkill as well, unless you think you need it for
editing.

Otherwise, I don't see anything wrong with your list of parts,
assuming the mobo can accept regular PCI cards, I have no experience
with it.

Either capture card choice would be fine. I might lean toward the PVR-
500 MCE and save a PCI slot, since I think you only have 3 slots to
start with. You'll likely want to add an HD capture card at some
point, and you'll need a remote control if you choose one of the
Hauppauge card selections without one.

Marvin