[mythtv-users] Multiple TV Tuners in the backend.

David Schmidt david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 14:14:57 UTC 2006

On 6/16/06, Paul Simpson <paul at maggiandpaul.dnsalias.com> wrote:

> Hi, sorry to gate-crash this thread, but I've been wondering about some of
> this stuff too. I',looking at putting in a Myth system at home but don't
> want to create (more) arguements with / between the kids!
>
> Questions:-
>
> 1) What if you have more front-ends than tuners?

If frontends are watching already recorded stuff, it doesn't matter.
It takes tuners to RECORD programs, not watch them.

Once all tuners are in use, however, whether for recording or "live"
TV, all additional requests for "live" TV get an error screen saying
no tuners are available.

> 2) What happens if a tuner that is in use for live TV is suddenly needed
> for a recording?

30 seconds (IIRC) before, a menu will pop up offering to either exit
to the menu, watch the program as it is being recorded or cancel the
recording.  If nothing is selected in that 30 seconds, it defaults to
watch as it is being recorded.

> What I'm thinking of doing is having a tuner card or two connected to my
> cable service. Some of the channels are free, but a lot are subscription.
> Now, if my eldest two both want to watch "The Simpsons" live, in their own
> rooms (coz they can't be trusted / don't want to be in the same one!) can
> they do this?

Sure, if you have sufficient free tuners (or they go through the
gymanastics previously mentioned in this thread to "share"one -- not
recommended).

> I guess what I'm looking for is a document that describes a fairly
> comprehensive (complex?) setup....

A good wiki search is your friend.....

Cheers!