[mythtv-users] Mythvideo performance

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 03:39:44 UTC 2006

> On Jun 15, 2006, at 6:44 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>

> >>  I don't see how it SHOULD, but there would be
> >>  slightly different drivers and such, I suppose, so possibly it could
> >>  make a difference.  My machine should be significantly more powerful
> >>  than MythTV needs, but it always seems to be struggling,
> >> particularly
> >>  in the disk IO area.  That doesn't make a ton of sense to me for
> >> just
> >>  one PVR150.
> >
> > Yeah, that shouldn't be an issue.  I built a combined frontend/backend
> > Myth box for a friend and he has recorded 4 MPEG-2 streams from
> > PVR-250's simultaneously while watching a previously recorded show /
> > and/
> > he uses the Myth box as his web server, FTP server, and several other
> > services (and they actually get used a lot by people other than him).
> >

> If you think you may have a disk I/O problem have you checked your
> PCI latency settings ?. Do you get a message in your boot log from
> ivtv about "unreasonable" latency settings ?
>
> While I don't think problems there would lead to the precise problem
> you are reporting, it is worth checking into, particularly if you
> have a VIA chipset on your mobo.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/PCI_Latency

Hmm, I have an nForce2 chipset, but I am getting;  ivtv0: Unreasonably low
latency timer, setting to 64 (was 32)

lspci shows:
00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP2A IDE (rev a3) (prog-if 8a
[Master SecP PriP])
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.: Unknown device 5700
        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, fast devsel, latency 0
        I/O ports at f000 [size]

00:0b.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Serial ATA Controller (rev
a3) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.: Unknown device 5700
        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
        I/O ports at 09f0 [size=8]
        I/O ports at 0bf0 [size=4]
        I/O ports at 0970 [size=8]
        I/O ports at 0b70 [size=4]
        I/O ports at d000 [size]
        I/O ports at d400 [size8]

Does that mean my hard drives are ALWAYS getting interrupted?  The command
'setpci -v -s 00:09.0 latency_timer°' didn't cause the output of lspci -v
to change.