[mythtv-users] Mythvideo performance

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jun 16 01:09:57 UTC 2006

On Jun 15, 2006, at 6:44 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>  I don't see how it SHOULD, but there would be
>>  slightly different drivers and such, I suppose, so possibly it could
>>  make a difference.  My machine should be significantly more powerful
>>  than MythTV needs, but it always seems to be struggling,
>> particularly
>>  in the disk IO area.  That doesn't make a ton of sense to me for
>> just
>>  one PVR150.
>
> Yeah, that shouldn't be an issue.  I built a combined frontend/backend
> Myth box for a friend and he has recorded 4 MPEG-2 streams from
> PVR-250's simultaneously while watching a previously recorded show /
> and/
> he uses the Myth box as his web server, FTP server, and several other
> services (and they actually get used a lot by people other than him).

If you think you may have a disk I/O problem have you checked your
PCI latency settings ?. Do you get a message in your boot log from
ivtv about "unreasonable" latency settings ?

While I don't think problems there would lead to the precise problem
you are reporting, it is worth checking into, particularly if you
have a VIA chipset on your mobo.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/PCI_Latency