[mythtv-users] MySQL nightmare setting up MythTV

Hedgy hedgy at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 14 04:31:26 UTC 2006

I searched and searched a lot, and I just can't get out of this... and
would rather not re-install FC5 from scratch if at all possible.

I brought my computer at work today to work on it on lunch time. I was
at the step needing to configure MySQL. I followed the instructions on
Jarod's site and everything worked fine. I could access MythWeb,
mythfilldatabase worked fine, everything was good.

I brought the computer back home, and everytime I try to start
mythtvsetup, I get:
QSqlQuery::exec: database not open
QSqlQuery::exec: database not open
2006-06-13 22:07:32.675 DB Error (KickDatabase):
Query was:
SELECT NULL;
No error type from QSqlError?  Strange...
2006-06-13 22:07:33.109 Unable to connect to database!
2006-06-13 22:07:33.110 Driver error was [1/1045]:
QMYSQL3: Unable to connect
Database error was:
Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'192.168.0.8' (using password: YES)

I'm assuming that this is because I  had a different IP address at work
when I configured MySQL. I just don't know how to change MySQL. I read
so much stuff I'm more confused now then I was before. I tried
installing phpMyAdmin to get a better "visual" illustration of what's
going on, but every time I try to connect it says "| #1045 - Access
denied for user 'root'@'192.168.0.8' (using password: YES) |".

I set up my router to assign 192.168.0.8 to my linux box every time, so
that it never change. I had the whole thing working before, a few days
ago. I had hardware problem so I re-installed everything... 3 times so
far. Can anyone tell me how to get out of this mess please?

Jonathan