[mythtv-users] Solved: One PVR-250/pcHDTV combination

Robert Tsai mythtv at tsaiberspace.net
Mon Jun 12 21:50:26 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 04:14:57PM -0500, Mercury Morris wrote:
> Thanks to you (both) for the suggestions about getting consistent
> values for /dev/video0, etc.
>
> For me, the "options ivtv ivtv_first_minor=2" is worth a try, even
> though I tried to force ivtv to use 0 by using "alias
> char-major-81-0 ivtv". When I did this, ivtv just ignored it, went
> ahead and used /dev/video1, and finally logged a message claiming it
> had initialized card #0.  So much for ivtv.

This might happen if your other device has already been loaded (and
thus already claimed /dev/video0).

By forcing ivtv to use some higher number, you can hope to get more
consistent results no matter which driver loads first. Alternatively,
there is probably a way to tell the other driver to default to some
non-zero value (if you are picky about making your ivtv device
/dev/video0), but I don't know it offhand.

--Rob