[mythtv-users] My experience with MythTV annoyances

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 12:47:44 UTC 2006

On 6/11/06, drescher0110-mythtv at yahoo.com <drescher0110-mythtv at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Again, not a Myth issue, there is a reason ext3 isn't one of the
> > > recommended file systems.
> >
> > That's fair. One does have to do some reading between the lines at
> > <URL:http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-24.html>, though, as I
> > didn't ahead of time as thoroughly as I should've.
> >

> My question is when were these recommeded file systems tested? And do these
> recommendations still apply? I have been a MythUser for 2 years and I remember this
> part of docs have not changed at all in that time. Was this for 2.4 kernels or 2.6
> kernels? As 2 years ago 2.6 kernels were pretty new. And why is reiserfs not
> recommeded? We use reiserfs at work and we have over 5 TB of medical imaging data
> stored on reiserfs. Are we going to have sudden doom?

When: dunno, since I started using Myth ~9mo ago.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/File_storage#File_Systems

the thing about filesystems is that they have their strengths, which
many time lead to specific weaknesses, so of course your need will
determine which filesystem(s) is(are) best for you. it just so happens
that for Myth's recordings drive JFS and XFS are the better
filesystems.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!