[mythtv-users] Myth 0.18

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 23:39:07 UTC 2006

On 6/11/06, Rick Smith <rick_t_smith at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I have a Mythtv 0.18 installation running on FC3.  Given the time and
> effort involved in getting a working system I'm really not keen on
> changing it at all.

Understood.

> I would, however, like to add a front-end on another PC.  I can get the
> binaries of 0.19 but not 0.18.  I there a way I can get 0.18 working
> (only versions prior to 0.15 appear on the download site)?

I presume you mean mythtv-0.18.1 -- which was around for a relatively
long time. If you want a quick-and-easy mythtv-0.18.1 frontend with
all of the appropriate bits and pieces, I would suggest you look for
an older knoppix cd and instlal that.

> Or is there a way I can upgrade to 0.19 with no risk whatever......?

Yes - buy a new hard drive, copy your old install to the new one, do
an upgrade install on the new one. If you have any major issues or
lack of time/experience/knowledge to debug after an upgrade, go back
to your old drive.

For my next backend server, I'll set up hardware RAID, with *FOUR*
partitions on top - two of about 20gb in size for TWO different OS
installs, one of about 5gb in size for Linux swap, and all the rest of
the space for a /video partition. This way, it would be possible to
always have a PRODUCTION install, and a DEV/TEST install. This would
make it really easy to save a 'STABLE' install, while testing
upgrades/new distros/new mythtv versions/SVN.

-Ross