[mythtv-users] Lastest SVN: Missing channels, also strange bad frames

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sat Jun 10 20:13:25 UTC 2006

So my long process up upgrading to the lastest SVN is almost done, got past
most of the trouble (in some cases without actually doing anything, which
is always scary.)   Here are some issues left:

Due to new channel handling schemes, and my switch to DVB, I deleted
and re-added both pvr-250 and pchdtv-3000 (now dvb driver) cards.  The
latest version has two different approaches for these.   For the OTA
card, I learned I had to do both a channel scan _and_ an import of the
channel list from datadirect.   First time I did it it mucked up on
the KQED (PBS) 5-channel set, not detecting them properly but with future
passes I seem to have it though now it doesn't record KRON-HD any more,
but that's not so important.

However, for the pvr-250, you now want to import the channel list from
datadirect and _not_ do a channel scan.  If you do a channel scan it creates
a whole series of channels marked "Adding Channel nn" and doesn't yet remap
the names.

However, by doing just the import, I find a bunch of channels missing,
including 68, sci-fi.   This is listed and enabled in my datadirect
subscription, as are the other missing channels (including vh1, TOON and
some others.)  These channels are not in the channel table in the database,
not visible in mythweb etc.  Seems to be no way to get them in.

----------------------------

Another problem, an annoying ivtv one.  I am running 4.4.  Sometimes,
though not always, about every 2-3 seconds a single frame will be
recorded entirely out of sync.  Ie. it starts halfway down the screen and
is only one set of interlace lines.

The result is on playback is this annoying "flashing" as you see the bad
frames interspered in your otherwise OK show.   The frames are there
in the recording, clearly visible if you pause an go frame-by-frame, it is
not a playback issue.

One might blame it on a signal issue but it coincides with the upgrade.

One issue you can laugh at but it won't help you.   After the upgrade
I swore I was having the famous "off by one" error people get when
ivtv cards are not having the tuner properly identified.  I pounded
at this for some time, even rewrote the frequency table to get it
to tune my favourite channel (CMDY) where it thought it was.

No, turned out that the cable company seems to have moved it,
around the time of my upgrade.