[mythtv-users] (no subject)

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 18:10:07 UTC 2006

> I travel quite a bit by train etc., so I figured I could download
> recordings to the laptop's local drive for off-line viewing on the train
> etc. (When unconnected to any type of network.)
>
> I know myth uses a db to catalog the recordings, so I guess it's just a
> case of copying the file and the relevant db entries?
>
> I intend to install a server as a backend at home and two or three small
> front-ends (probably diskless) for viewing around the house (using wired
> ethernet.)

What about making your laptop a slave backend while at home, but when
you "travel" switch over it's config to be the master, copy the db
over, and the files.  It would take a bit of planning so you could
transfer the files; unless you used a removable USB drive for your
recordings, then you wouldn't even have to transfer them.  Just
provide a universal recording directory at home (via something like
NFS)...  Hmmm, but when you travelled you'd no longer be able to
capture recordings you've scheduled unless you had 2 mirrored drives.

Probably easiest idea that I can think of manually would be to copy
the db and files, and then switch the laptop into master backend mode
when you remove it from the network.

-Chad