[mythtv-users] Dish Network and MythTV setup questions

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jun 8 13:36:57 UTC 2006

On Jun 8, 2006, at 6:12 AM, Robert La Ferla wrote:

> Thanks for the responses.  What about video distribution?  Is it
> better to have a central backend server that is connected to the
> receiver or have one in each room?  I was thinking of getting two
> basic receivers and connecting them to my dual tuner PVR-500.  With
> that setup and a 100baset LAN, could I watch live and recorded tv in
> different rooms yet keep the backend in a central place?

It depends on how many sets and viewers you have, and what your
household viewing habits might be.

Most Myth users find that they watch less and less live TV as time
goes on, as watching the recordings gives you many advantages like
commercial skip and time acceleration.

The system you are thinking of sounds good as long as you recognize
the limitations, SD-only and only two independent channels for
example, and don't have too much competing network traffic.