[mythtv-users] Way OT: ota signal via cable?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jun 8 13:17:17 UTC 2006

On Jun 8, 2006, at 7:05 AM, David Schmidt wrote:

> [sorry if either of you object to the aggressive editing]
>
> On 6/7/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> On 06/07/2006 12:13 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
>>> Usually that "really basic"  tier
> [... is ...]
>>> not a bad deal for $4 or $5 a month.
>>>

>> Yeah.  I dropped the service (and went to satellite) when the free
>> local
>> channels were costing me $13/month
> [..]
>
> Well, since my prototype box is exposing how bad my current OTA
> reception is, I'm weighing new antenna vs. basic cable/sat as well.
> You're right it's cometitive for a single box, but for my planned
> production 3 tuners, wouldn't I need 3 boxes, at least for sat (but
> increasingly land line as wel)?  If so, that adds up quick!

Definitely true with satellite, less so with cable as often the most
basic analog tier is not encrypted.

But as more and more cable systems go totally digital you may well
wind up needing some sort of STB for each TV receiver.

As far as satellite, it depends on what sort of deal you can get.
When I signed up for Dish I could get up to four TV sets (actually
two dual-output receivers) for no extra charge. In fact, since I
didn't ask for the maximum, I was able to get an additional 311
receiver later for only one-time charge, no service charge or
additional monthly fee.

But that all depends on what "special" might be running at the time
you sign up. It sometimes makes me mad that operators (sat and cable)
sometimes treat new customers better than folks who have been loyal
customers for years.