[mythtv-users] video distortion

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jun 7 15:09:58 UTC 2006

On Jun 7, 2006, at 9:00 AM, Will Constable wrote:

> I’m running two different resolutions, spanning desktops on vga and
> s-video.  This could be the problem I suppose – would unplugging
> the vga monitor do the trick or do I have to boot with the output
> disabled?

It's basically a try-and-see situation.

What you are seeing is the horizontal sync bar from your vga video
floating through your S-Video signal. It all makes sense once you
mentioned that you're using two monitors.

The cross-coupling can happen in different ways. One is simply
magnetic coupling between the two monitors, see what happens if you
simply power down the VGA monitor.

The only way to fix that type of problem is to move the monitors
further away from each other, or use some type of magnetic shielding
such as "mu-metal". Using better shielded monitor(s) would help as well.

You could also be getting cross-talk between the cables, using better
shielded cables might help this sort of problem.

The cross-talk could also be happening in the video card itself, but
a newer "better" card might or might not be better shielded.

Like I said, you will just have to experiment and see what helps.