[mythtv-users] Speaker Suggestions ???

Steve Skarda steveskarda at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 12:59:50 UTC 2006

> On Jun 5, 2006, at 7:17 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
> > Brian Wood wrote:
> >> With all the concentration on getting the video working right I have
> >> neglected my audio output devices.
> >>
> >> Right now I'm using a Harmon Kardon 2.1 system that came with a Dell
> >> system I purchased 5 years ago, and it basically leaves a lot to be
> >> desired (read that: SUCKS).
> >>
> >> I'm looking for a decent 2.1 speaker/amplifier system that does not
> >> cost more than say $200 US.
> >>
> >> Obviously there's no point in getting something that's far better
> >> than the signal that's driving it. The audio is all captured by PVR
> >> cards from analog broadcasts and encoded with the default settings of
> >> Myth.
> >>
> > On the contrary, DVDs will have 5.1, ripped or played through the
> > internal player.  And, if you're like me, it wasn't long I moved from
> > PVR cards to getting the few broadcast stations via QAM over cable
> > where
> > most of what I watch lies.  Those have 5.1 sound as well.  It's not
> > hard
> > to find 7.1 receivers for the $200 you want to spend
> >
> > http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538199344
>
> Interesting unit, I wasn't aware that such had got so low in price.
>
> But that's the decoder/receiver, and doesn't include speakers, right ??
>
> I'm really looking for the speakers themselves. I wasn't thinking in
> terms of  "surround sound", but you're right, DVD and satellite
> programming often does have more than 2 channels, so I suppose I
> could be talked into it.
>
> The Asus motherboard I'm using has provision for up to 8-channel
> output, although I'm not sure of the quality of same, or what its
> decoding capability might be. To be honest I have not really paid
> attention to multi-channel audio setups, my experience runs more
> towards older analog stereo systems.
>
> I do have a pair of MacIntosh MC-30 amplifiers, consecutive serial
> numbers, built in 1958, I don't want to tell you what they are worth,
> but I'm not too sure how practical using them with a computer system
> might be  (and it is getting hard to find tubes for them). They
> certainly can keep you warm in the Winter.
>
> I'm basically  looking for  a decent pair of stereo speakers, with a
> sub-woofer for the low end, and an amplifier/crossover that can drive
> them.
>
> I was at a Bose factory outlet center that's down the road from me,
> they had some nice stuff but even the refurbished "home theater" gear
> was pricey. I'm happy to see they still make the 901s, but they are
> costly, perhaps a pair of 501s would do ? (Salesman: "You can't use
> *them* for TV, they are STEREO speakers" ("stereo" said with some
> disgust in his voice).
>
> I'm really not sure if I need a sub-woofer, but everyone I speak to
> tells me I "must" have one.
>
> But, I wonder, what are Myth users using for audio output, I've seen
> [...]

AVSForum is the best place to look for audio advice.

I have to agree with Keven.   Personally, I would buy an actual receiver and
speakers so you can have a 5.1 or 7.1 system or atleast the capability to
expand down the road if you decide to go high definition or play DVD's.  You
can get great deals on the Polk R series at oupost.com and Fry's if you
watch closely for their monthly sales.  The R-series is suposedly being
discontinued so it is a great value.

Prices when on sale (watch fatwallet.com)
Polk R30- $80 a pair for front (or better R50 for a bit more)
Polk R15- $40 a pair, for sides and/or back surrounds.  These could even be
use for fronts and would be better than any 2.1 system.
Polk CSi25- $70 for center.

If you are impatient and can't wait for a sale, there are lots of people
that stocked up on these during the Fry's sales and sell them on E-bay for
$15-20 over the sale price.

Then all you need is a receiver.   Again, if you are going to invest the
money, I'd pick up one that is at least capable of 5.1 or 7.1.    Ideally,
you'll also want a subwoofer but that would be out of your price range.
Personally, I think you'd get as much bass out of the Polk system without a
sub then you would with a $200, 2.1 system.  Sometime later you could look
at adding a Dayton sub or SVSound sub (very expensive but highly
recommended).  See AVSForum.

Most folks will tell you to stay away from Bose.  It is all marketing hype
with quality no where near the price tag.  Do a search for Bose on AVSForum
and you will see what I mean.