[mythtv-users] Little Hardware Deciding Help?

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 23:08:05 UTC 2006

> I would get a separate wireless access point, so that your wireless will
> still work if you need to take the mythbox offline for maintenance or
> power saving.

Powersaving isnt as much of an issue unfortunatly as this will likely be
running a bit, but one of the things I noticed about this motherboard is
that it has a sleep mode, which is actually just a very low power mode
in which the WAP would still work, and say if it was downloading files
it would continue to do so.  I dont know enough about the mode yet to
say for sure how much power t his saves, wether it is hardware or OS
activated etc, so it is nothing more than interested surmising on my
part at the moment.

However the other reason is I want to have total control over my
Wireless, and I am not big on the embedded scene to flash a Linksys or
similar, or build my own Soekris at the moment.  Thus why I would rather
have it on a linux machine where I know I can control it easier;)

> AFAICT from the pics, it is an on-board WiFi solution, and the antenna is
> simply an external SMC or SMA type connector

Its odd, I noticed the connector as well, but I have seen it referenced
as a USB connected device in various places, and I havent seen an
antenna connector in the images, but then again I could be blind;)  Also
with the power saving mode mentioned above I would think it would kinda
have to be an onboard solution also.

       Seablade