[mythtv-users] nvidia coolbits options on X startup?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jun 4 16:09:32 UTC 2006

On Jun 4, 2006, at 7:37 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> So I've got a FX5300 (PCIE) card that has a weird tearing problem that
> raising the memory clock speed fixes. Anyone know how I can set this
> new memory clock speed to enable when I start X without having to run
> nvidia-settings, enabling overclocking, etc?
>
> I'd rather not buy a new video card with default faster memory...

I am extremely surprised that anything Myth does is pushing the
limits of graphic memory speed on even the cheapest video cards
available.

I guess XvMC would be the most intense thing Myth would ask of the
card, but even that would seem to be less than most modern games are
doing.

Is there any chance that your increasing the graphics memory speed is
doing something else that might be correcting the tearing ? Perhaps
something having to do with timings other than emory clock.

I don't know much about the internal workings of video cards, I'm
just surprised that "mere" video comes so close to RAM clock limits.
This is the first time I have ever heard of anyone running into such
a problem.